• Homeowners
  • Installers
  • New Build
  • Social Housing
Login01482 498660
x Close
Ideal Heating
Login01482 498660
x Close

Boiler FAQs: Does My New Boiler Need a Gas Safe Certificate?

Blog21 June 2021

A Gas Safety certificate is issued when a Gas Safe registered engineer inspects your home's appliances and heating systems, including your boiler. In the UK it’s a legal requirement for landlords to supply their tenants with a Gas Safety Record to ensure all appliances are fit for purpose. However, as a homeowner you may be wondering whether your new boiler needs a CP12 certificate too. 

In this blog, we will explain what a CP12 certificate is, what Gas Safe Regulations mean for landlords, tenants and homeowners and whether you need a Gas Safety Record to sell your home. We’ll also cover the importance of annual gas safety checks and if your new boiler requires one. 

What is a Gas Safe Compliant Certificate?

A Gas Safety certificate or CP12 is a legal requirement for UK landlords. It’s a document that states compliance with standards and regulations set by the government and proves that gas appliances within the property are safe to use. A Gas Safety certificate is obtained during an annual inspection, where they check that your boiler and home is safe

During the annual inspection, performed by a Gas Safe registered engineer, checks will be carried out to ensure there are no faults or leaks. When this inspection is completed your engineer will supply you with your Gas Safety Record. This should be updated every 12 months. 

Building Regulations Compliance Certificate vs Gas Safety Certificate - What's the Difference?

New builds can benefit from Ideal boilers, providing a  guarantee that your home is filled with comfort and warmth while being compliant with Gas Safe and Building Regulations. Within a new build, or when a new gas appliance is installed in a property, the local authority has to be informed. A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate is then issued to show that the building is safe to use and inhabit. 

When a Gas Safe registered engineer has installed an appliance such as a new boiler, they’ll need to comply with the Building Regulations within 30 days of install. This is different from having your annual boiler inspection, where an engineer will check for gas leaks and faults within your whole boiler system. 

Is a Gas Safety Certificate a Legal Requirement?

Are you a tenant or landlord wanting to understand how to be compliant with Gas Safety Regulations? As a landlord, it’s your duty to ensure gas appliances are checked and safe to use, as well as obtaining a CP12 certificate. A Gas Safety certificate is a legal requirement for landlords and proves that the gas appliances within the property are fit for purpose. 

While it is the landlord’s responsibility to arrange an annual Gas Safe inspection, as tenants it is important to ensure this happens. The consequences of an unsafe appliance, such as a boiler, can be catastrophic. Avoid potential fires, leaks or carbon monoxide poisoning by reminding your landlord of their duty to get an annual Gas Safe inspection. Furthermore, it’s your landlord's duty to give you a copy of the certificate, which should be filled in after every service either before you move in or within 28 days of the inspection.  

Importance of Getting a Gas Safety Certificate 

Even though it isn’t a legal requirement for a homeowner to have a Gas Safety certificate, it’s recommended to have your annual Gas Safe inspection to protect your home and family from potential carbon monoxide poisoning. 

During your annual Gas Safe inspection, your engineer will check for any gas leaks that can occur from faulty pipework and appliances. If a gas leak is neglected or goes undetected this can lead to fires, explosions or CO poisoning. Gas burns strongly to heat your entire home, so if it were to escape it would spread quickly. Stay safe and get your Gas Safety certificate from a Gas Safe registered engineer every year. 

Can I Sell my House Without a Gas Safety Certificate? 

It’s not required by law to have a Gas Safety certificate unless you are a landlord, so you don’t need to have one when selling your home. However, when selling your home, having a certificate is not only a lot safer, but people may be more inclined to purchase the house knowing the appliances are safe to use when they move in.  

You may also want to consider getting a Gas Safety certificate if you are moving into a new property. There are many essential jobs when moving into a new home and, as an owner of gas appliances, it’s recommended to have an annual gas safety inspection carried out. 

If you rent or let your property out, it is a legal requirement to have a Gas Safety certificate to ensure your property and tenants are protected from potential harm. 

You’ll find further advice on gas safety, servicing, and boiler care in our FAQs, as well as more in-depth guides on the Ideal Heating blog.