1. Turn off your gas at the meter or yellow lever attached to your gas meter.
2. If you have LPG turn off the valves on your tank.
3. DO NOT use NAKED flames.
4. DO NOT use ANY Electrical Sockets or Switches
5. Open all doors and windows.
6. Call TRANSCO or ESP if you have a Natural Gas supply.
7. If you have LPG contact your supplier.
TRANSCO/ESP - for Natural Gas
- England, Wales & Scotland - 0800 111 999
- Northern Ireland - 0800 002 001
If you can smell gas or think there is a gas leak in your property you need to act straight away. First, turn the gas off at the meter if you can safely do so (it’s normally found under the stairs or outside your home).
Open all windows and doors to the property and if you have children or pets, evacuate them from the house. This is because carbon monoxide is heavier than air, so if there is a leak they will breathe in more of the gas because it‘s lower to the ground.
Do not use anything that has a source of ignition, and do not smoke or use anything that can produce a naked flame. Leave any electronics as they are — don’t switch anything on or off.
As soon as you have the chance, call the emergency gas service on 0800 111 999. They will arrange for someone to visit your property within three hours to make the area safe. If an engineer has attended to work on your gas appliance within the past seven days, please make the business responsible for the work aware of this.
Gas leaks can happen to any poorly maintained appliance, such as a gas cooker, gas fire or boiler. This highlights the importance of having your appliances serviced at least once a year.
We recommend having a carbon monoxide alarm fitted as an early warning sign in case you experience a leak. Have a good read through of the manufacturer’s instructions and British Standards for the most appropriate place to store your alarm.